Remember that time I said I'd never buy another fixer-upper suit, because it was too much work? Yeah. Turns out I'm a liar, because Oops, I did it again.
I found a beautiful 1930s suit at a flea market a few weeks ago. The seller wanted $75 for it--a serious bargain, particularly as the jacket is gorgeous. It fit like a glove, and I was about to hand over some money when I remembered to actually, you know, inspect the garment. That's what I noticed a handful of moth holes in the skirt. There are few worse feelings in vintage life than having to tell a very sweet seller that the garment she thought was near-mint is actually very damaged. The jacket has only two very minor faults, though, and when she dropped the price by $30, I couldn't pass it up. So, here I am, back in the repairing saddle again. This time, though, I went with mending tape.
|The biggest of the eight or so holes.|
After making (and loving!) my first skirt, I decided to try another one, this time at the length I'd actually intended the first one to be. After seriously, seriously hunting around for this precise fabric, I ended up going back to the store at which I'd bought the burgundy fabric. I'd gone there first, actually, but hoped to find a better price somewhere else. Turns out, emerald green wool blend is hard to come by. In any case, I got a good deal on it in the end, and might have enough to make a second, accompanying garment (hope hope)!
|Photography lesson: backlighting is bad.|