When Frances visited a few weeks ago, she found this terrific 1940s pattern, but since she already had something similar, she handed it to me, and I'm so happy she did. I'd been hoping to take part in Sew for Victory, using a dress pattern I bought before I could even sew (hey, it was motivation!), but since I'm still a beginner, I figured it might be nice to ease on into the world of barely-marked patterns, rather than diving in head-first.
|I decided on View C for this go-round.|
The envelope is missing two pattern pieces, one of which I didn't need for the particular blouse I chose, but the other of which was pretty important--the front facing where the buttons/buttonholes go. Since it's essentially a long rectangle, I was able to reconstruct it by measuring the dimensions of another pattern piece, comparing it to the piece as illustrated in the instructions, and using those numbers to scale out the dimensions of the missing piece. Guys, I haven't done that much math since the GRE.
|So many numbers.|
As the pieces are only marked by different-sized circles--extremely different than the patterns I've been using from the 1960s and today, which are pretty thoroughly marked and explained-- I thought it'd be a pretty tough sew, but to my surprise and relief, it actually sewed up pretty easily. The toughest part was actually the shoulder pads. Fun to make, hard to install.
|Tracing out the pattern for the shoulder pads|
|Me + making shoulder pads. The shortest love affair that ever was.|
|There's two pleats on either side, both extend below the waistband.|
|I really dig the shoulder gathers.|
|There's four pleats on the back.|
Just before I started, I thought about switching the neckline to include the jabot, but I'm glad I didn't. The light color of the fabric makes the pleats and tucks really visible, and I think the softness of a jabot would've been jarring against the visible architecture of the pleats. I like the pattern so much, though, that I'm already thinking about doing that neckline in a print, which I think might balance out a little better.
And, now that I've conquered one 1940s pattern, I'll be doing the dress next! I'm hoping to make it in time for another wedding, this one in Baton Rouge in less than a month (eek!).